Friday, July 23, 2010

I Hate the First Week of School

Everyone says it. And it is true. The first week is the most important week.

There are a few other things that are true about the first week.

It is very teacher directed because you are showing the kids how to do everything--and I mean everything. You would think by the third grade kids would already know how to do things like get a drink of water, sharpen a pencil, or write their names on a piece of paper; but they don't.

It requires extensive planning. During the year, I teach with the aid of curriculum and standards. I don't start that on the first week.

It goes on forever. Maybe it is because you've just finished a lazy summer, maybe it is because you aren't teaching the way you do the rest of the year, but whatever the reason the first week feels so long and the first weekend feels so short!

I saw my class roster today and I am really excited for my year with my new friends, BUT I still kind of hate the first week.

No comments: