Thursday, July 29, 2010

Editor Extraodinaire??

I have a friend, really she is more like a sister to me, who is leaving her husband. It's a whole dramatic situation (which I won't say too much about), but she was writing the letter she plans to give him on the day she leaves. She wanted me to help her edit it. At first, I was like, "Ummm, I can't even balance my own dating life. I clearly don't know anything about marriage." Which is true, but as I edited it I realized that I don't need to know anything about marriage to edit. It was a simple skill of understanding what my friend was trying to communicate and helping her communicate it more clearly. That skill comes more naturally to me than any other skill. I've always been a go to person on my staff to edit touchy e-mails to parents, colleagues and administrators. In college, I "fixed" my share of papers. I was really born to be an editor much more than a writer.

No comments: