Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Reading List and Why

The best teacher gift I got this year was a 25$ giftcard to Barnes and Noble. I've written before about how I have had to control my book buying habit due to my financial situation while I am paying for graduate school. I was soooo happy to get this gift card because it was an excuse to buy some of the top books on the list of books I want to read. Honestly, my bill was 47$, but with my 20% educator discount and 25$ giftcard I only spent 13$. Here are the three books I chose and why I chose them.

1.) Teacher Man by Frank McCourt
I read Angela's Ashes this summer for the first time and loved it. I found Mr. McCourt's writing to be honest and moving. When I found out he also had a book about teaching, I couldn't wait to read it. I know it is not nearly as famous as Angela's Ashes and there may be a reason for that, but I read the prologue at the book store and I will just say this is the book I will probably get halfway through tonight.

2.) A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
This is a book that I know will be a little depressing for a holiday read, but I have heard it referenced so many times that I have been wanting to read it for a really long time. I also knew I wanted to get something that is a novel, but has some literary value. I've been reading a bunch of light mysteries handed to me by my grandmother and I wanted to read fiction with a little more depth if I was going to make a purchase.

3.)Amazing Grace by Eric Metaxas
This book is a biography of William Wilberforce who basically kept slavery from ever becoming as prevalent in England as it did in the U.S. I first learned about William Wilberforce in college when I was reading a book by Os Guinness called The Call. Only a short chapter in that book was devoted to William, but I have wanted to read an extensive biography about him for years now. A couple of years ago a movie based on his life came out and that movie only excited my interest more.

Anyway, I can't wait to enjoy my break reading!!! I hope you are enjoying yours as well.

No comments: