Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Bucket List

I got an update via e-mail about my student with brain cancer. I haven't said much because I haven't known much, but I do know now that she is having surgery on Monday, January 4th. That will be our first day back at school. I don't know right now if it is risky and I don't know how long recovery will take.

I guess in life you just never know how long you have on this earth. Which brings me to my next list post. I hated the movie bucket list, but I like the idea of figuring out things you would like to do in this life and just doing them. So this is my list of things I would like to do in this life.


10.) Join a Bookclub. I have always wanted to, but apparently this is not an interest most of my age bracket shares.
9.) Be Fluent in a Foreign Language. I have studied Spanish and Latin, but I want to communicate in a second language.
8.) Decorate a whole house in the style I want. This might sound stupid, but I want my home decor in a coherent theme I choose. My theme right now is budget and empty space.
7.) Have the opportunity to be really brave and take it. I don't know how to explain this, but as often as being bold has gotten me into trouble I would like to have the opportunity to use it for good. I'll take the bullet. Gosh that sounds fatalistic (that is so not how I mean it).
6.) See Greece. I've been lucky enough to see Europe. I would love to see Greece at some point.
5.) Spend a good amount of time in a foreign country. I love traveling and I think I would like living abroad...
4.) Go on a really difficult hike. If you knew me, you would probably be surprised by this, but I always loved hiking and have a taste for adventure. My vision is hiking to Machu Pichu.
3.) Finish a graduate degree. One year from now, Lord willing, I will cross this one off my list.
2.) Get married. This one is pretty self-explanatory.
1.) Write a book and maybe get it published. I have high dreams about writing fiction, but my largest files of writing are factual and anecdotal so we'll see. Perhaps I'll have to do something worth reading before I can produce that level of writing.

No comments: