Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Keep Tryin

There are moments in life we never forget. Sometimes, as teachers, we witness these moments in the lives of our students and never even know it. Other times, the important moments in the lives of our students leave such an impression that it becomes a moment we never forget either.

A couple of weeks ago one of my students had a moment at school I know she will never forget (and neither will I). Her parents are recentely divorced, and because of the economy her father had to take a job on the other side of the US. For whatever reason, her father decided to say the final goodbye when he dropped her off at school. I found her a couple of minutes later just bawling at the end of the line.

Of course, I was concerned, and I recommended to her mother that she start meeting with the school social worker. I recieved the nicest e-mail from her father about a week ago thanking me for my help. I could hear in the tone of his e-mail how hard it was for him to leave.

Today, I recieved another e-mail from her dad asking that I scan the weekly progress reports and e-mail him. At first, I was annoyed and I thought, "that is way beyond the scope of what I should be asked to do." Then, after thinking about it, I realized that this is a man trying hard to keep every connection with his daughter alive. How could I not do what I can to help?

I grew up far away from my father and he chose not to be involved in my life. Here now, is a dad trying to prevent this situation from becoming his reality in his life and his daughter's life. If keeping him very connected to the school helps, I want to do it.

No comments: