Saturday, October 17, 2009

6 Feet Small?








Now that I have been working with eight-year-olds for a while, my self-concept has been a little inflated. I mean this literally and figuratively.



Reality: I am 5'1" tall (possibly almost 5'2"). I weigh a little over 100 pounds. I am naturally introverted.



Why My Perception Is Skewed: 21 people between 3' 8" and 4'9" follow my every command all day long.



Sometimes I forget that in the real world my presence might not be as overwhelming as I think.



Our new principal is a really tall big guy. He came into my classroom the other day and we talked in the back of the room for a minute. After he left, one of my students said, "You look like an elf next to him."Better to look like an elf, I suppose, than to look like a troll or a gnome or something, but the implication is the same.



I was at lunch with my best friend the other day, and I made the comment that if I was about six inches taller and gained like fifty pounds, then I would be better at what I do. She reminded me that there are lots of things that would make me more intimidating that I shouldn't do. For example, I should not get a large tattoo, change my name to something like Large Marge, or start wearing a lot of Harley Davidson Gear.



My family also seems to believe that I am in constant danger by virtue of the fact that I am single and live with only another small female. They gave me this book called "The Gift of Fear" which is all about believing any fears you have of, well, anything.




No comments: