Friday, April 2, 2010

Field Day All Star

I am getting a rude wake-up call today, my day off (not for Good Friday of course, it is a "district holiday"), that I need to start working out again. We had Field Day on Thursday. I felt the need to participate in every event and give my full effort-- I am not one of those people who wants to let kids win to protect their self esteem. As a result, I jumped hurdles, crabwalked across a field, was dragged across the field hanging on to a tug of war rope, and sprinted in the relay race. Yesterday I felt quite victorious--grant you I was competing with nine year olds, but hey, those of us who are not so athletically talented have to take our victories where we can get them. Today I do not feel so victorious. I feel tug-of-war in my ankles, the hurdles in my thighs, bean bag toss in my shoulders, and the sprinting everywhere else.

I really have not felt a big pull to go back to working out because I am skinny, but suffering like this from a kiddy field day is a blunt reminder that skinny does not mean in shape. It is more like being a bag of bones.

No comments: