Monday, August 31, 2009

Word Detectives

The story from our reader this week is a mystery. It's actually a really lame story that I sort of hate, but for whatever reason the kids are stoked about it. Perhaps I hide my disdain for it well.

Anyway, I also made a supplementary lesson on using context clues which used the story vocabulary. I used it as a pre-reading activity.

What I didn't anticipate was how perfectly the activity lent itself to mystery week. I didn't think about it when I was prepping, but during the lesson somehow the kids all became "word detectives." They used clues found in the sentences to guess the meaning of the words I covered up. It was fun, and at the very least, had them thinking really hard about their vocabulary words.

There are some fun things about the younger guys. I like their really active imaginations.

Now, if I can just get them to put these imaginations to work in Writing...

No comments: