Sunday, March 6, 2011

Goodbye B

The writer in me is a romantic. Maybe I'm a cynic, but at the end of the day, I want to write in a way that shows the rainbow at the end of the storm and the silver lining. Life just makes more sense when you see it that way.

Today, though, there is no silver lining. There's no rainbow. It's just a door slammed in your face. It's just a screen gone black in the middle of a movie. It's one shoe dropping when the other never will.

This morning at five o'clock in the morning my cousin was driving to work and was in a car accident. He was killed.

My heart can't fathom that. He was twenty-two. He'll never see twenty-three.

It's not like I see this cousin all the time. I see him maybe once or twice a year. It's just that the injustice of it is like a slap in the face. You shouldn't have a funeral where your grandparents and parents are there. You shouldn't miss your college graduation because you were killed. You shouldn't have your life ended before it begins.

6 comments:

ms-teacher said...

I'm so very sorry. I have a daughter, age 22 & a son, age 18. This is one of my worst fears.

Ricochet said...

Sorry for your loss.

My father said it best. "You should not outlive your children."

Kim Hughey said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time. Like ms-teacher, I have children this age too. 24, 22, and 20. I worry about them every single day.

Summers School said...

Bless you and your family. I'm 22, can't even imagine having life cut that's short. I pray that your family is able to pull together in this hard time.

luckeyfrog said...

There are some things that are just unfair. I'm sorry to hear that your family has come to be victims of one of those things.

Sun said...

I am sorry for your lost.