Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Where Did the Day Go?

Do you ever have one of those days that seem to fly by before anything of substance happens? It's like the ribbon of a balloon slipping through your fingers and flying beyond your line of vision before you have a chance to watch it fly away.

It is raining here in the desert and I am still feeling like it is a break. I didn't work on the weekend at all and I just wasn't ready for today. Consequently, I spent most of my day prepping the Read Naturally program we are running for twenty-four third graders starting today. I was so absorbed in that I feel like I didn't even give my own class the time of day.

Here's the thing, though: they were soooo good. They were perfect angels. I gave them work to do during Math, (an hour's worth) and at some point I realized that they were all working so diligently and quietly that I had forgotten they were in the room.

I just didn't actively teach or work with students all day. I feel really bad for wasting a day. I have this class that really is a gift (if I spent one minute doing this last year, I shudder to think what would have happened), and I spent the whole day being too busy to work with them. I never even realized a whole day had slipped through my fingers until I had the thought that this felt like a teacher work day.

Well, tomorrow is a new day. I won't be so absorbed in tasks that I forget the kids--I promise!

1 comment:

luckeyfrog said...

I am so jealous that your students would allow that to happen. I had a day today where 3 minutes of independent work didn't go well.

I also think it's okay to get wrapped up in something new- it's a lot better than sticking to the same old, same old- as long as you realize what you're doing and keep it short!