Saturday, January 30, 2010

Leave Your Worries on the Doorstep

We've been talking about Christopher Columbus during Social Studies and Writing. Christopher Columbus was by no means perfect, but he did have passion for what he did and he had the guts to do a lot. "People thought that Christopher Columbus had his thinking all backwards. 'Why,' they wanted to know, 'would you think sailing West is the quickest route to the East?' His thinking, though, led to the discovery of North America," I told the kids. It is a good lesson about continuing to try when things look bad, when your goal is worth it. It's a good lesson for the kids and for me.

So much is going right in my classroom this year. I have all of my students back in my room again. We work hard together every day. I really will miss these kids.

I find myself being really dragged down by the obstacles, though. I've got financial uncertainties in my head. What will happen if I don't have a job for next year? I've got politics in my brain.

The reality is that doing a good job isn't enough to save my job. The goal, of course, is to have these kids learn. When I am focused on that everything seems right.

Being a teacher is kind of like being the captain of a ship. Like Columbus, I want my crew to reach shore and complete their mission. I feel like my ship will make it safely to shore, but will it ever see the sea again?

No comments: