Saturday, September 18, 2010

Run

When I was a little girl, I used to have recurring dreams about running away from bad dark things that were chasing me. Sometimes it was a pack of dogs chasing me. Sometimes it was a bad man. Always, I would run to escape. I had that dream for the last time when I was about twenty. I'll never forget that dream because I was being chased by a masked criminal, but I refused to run. The criminal took off his mask and it was my dad. Had he been chasing me in my dreams all those years waiting for me to confront him. I don't know, but the dreams quit coming.

I am having another running dream, but this time I am running to get some place. The problem is that it is like I am running on a treadmill and I can't get anywhere. I think I am dreaming about running because that is the pace of my life right now. I get up early and my day is filled from morning to night with work only. I feel like I work and work and work, but it is still not enough and I am failing to meet the needs of my class.

I do want to be a more balanced person than I have been in the past while I am teaching. It is not happening, though.

1 comment:

Literacy Teacher said...

I find all teachers feel this way during the month of September. I work with a teacher who has been at school for over 40 years and even she said the other day she has stress this month! The balance will come.. it just may take a few more weeks! There have been years when I did not feel balance until January!
Just keep the faith!