Saturday, September 11, 2010

Almost 10 Years

I was a high school sophomore on September 11, 2001. I remember my tv alarm clock going off at 7am that morning. There is a big time difference between NY and where I live. My tv came on just after the first plane had hit the World Trade Center. The newscasters were saying that it doesn't seem that this could be an accident. I went and woke up my mother and together we watched the chain of events that unfolded.

I went to school that day and in every course we watched the news. The streets were quiet and the skies were quiet even out here in the desert--so far away from the World Trade Center. We all prayed and waited to see how we could help. We all--even those of us that were sixteen--stayed awake at night wondering what would happen next.

1 comment:

amanda in michigan said...

I was a senior in high school, someone ran into our police science class and told the instructor what was going on. We watched it on the tv at school in every class as well. 9/11 and the day Columbine happened are the two days that i remember the most vividly from my high school days.