Sunday, March 21, 2010

Shiver Island

It is 1am and I should be in bed. I saw a somewhat unsettling movie (although much smarter than most horror films). Then, my friend, who went with me, called to tell me she saw a cat chasing a rat down my street when she was leaving. I was awake anyway, so I decided to do my taxes.

Somehow I made less money by being more experienced and doing the same job in 2009 than in 2008. I got a smaller refund (although I paid nearly 8,000 dollars in tuition fees) from the feds. I owe the state 180 dollars. Last year I think I had to pay them 60. I may just dream up my own fantasy world to cope with the experience of decreasing income, increasing taxes, and, well, let's face it, rats. I will live on Shiver Island. It will be the opposite of a hot, stupid desert that makes me pay them when they barely pay me to teach their schools. Yes, it will be an island for crazy people, but I will know how to deal with them. I have some work experience in that area.

No comments: