Friday, March 26, 2010

From the Heart

Thanks to my commenters on the last post. I have been struggling a lot lately because I am afraid (with good reason) that I will lose my job due to the budget cuts. My state has been hit really hard by the economic crisis. My school district rifed teachers last year due to budget cuts and we haven't gotten any word about when contracts are coming. I heard a rumor yesterday that there will be pay cuts for everyone who keeps a job and another rif.

Everyday, I drive by seas of foreclosure sales on the way home for work. Almost daily on the local news they are covering lay offs and other economic woes. In all of this, I was most impressed by the police chief. The police force in this city laid off over two hundred officers due to budget cuts. I have so much respect for the chief who addressed the public saying the following, "We will do our best to keep this city safe, but we will not provide the same level of service we have. It is not possible in the face of these cuts. We cannot do it."

I know that in education there will be no speech like this. Just in case, though, I thought I would write a speech for our superintendent to address the public. I am including the text of this speech below.

This district has for twenty years provided a free education to the children in this community that is superior to almost any education in this state, a state that has always ranked in the bottom five percent of funding for education. This is remarkable and the educators in this district should be commended. I believe, that in the face of these budget cuts these educators will continue to do remarkable things. We cannot and should not, however, expect or demand miracles. Reduction in staff and increased workload carry a price. Loss of supplies, professional development, and maintenance will cost. It may be that we don't have a choice, but we need to understand the price and who will pay it. I can make no promise for a miracle that will maintain the quality of education we once offered.

1 comment:

Ricochet said...

In our area, rather than a speech like that, we will get one that talks about merit pay, kids who don't see the problems teachers are having (and probably shouldn't, because they are kids) and demand that you supply them with pencils and paper, because they can't afford it. Our school struggles with AYP - gee class will max out at 32 per class and they think our test scores will improve?

I feel your pain.