Thursday, May 20, 2010

Gifted

This is something I never talk about, but I am talking about it on my blog because it is anonymous, so why not? I think I have mentioned before that I attended elementary school in the same district. When I went to school there, I was identified as verbally gifted. I think this label is not an especially helpful label for any child because to most of us the term is synonymous with smart. The label only reafirms what the gifted kid will figure out anyway, and that is that he doesn't have to work hard in school to do well.

Anyway, I say all this because the gifted program at my district is changing the model for third grade. These kids will no longer have pull out services. They will be clustered in one classroom.

I don't know if it is really true, but I heard a rumor that the gifted teacher just found out that I went through the gifted program and was very interested in that information. I have a feeling that I might be getting the gifted cluster.

At first, I didn't want it because most parents are really annoying when they find out their child is "gifted". Usually, if their child misbehaves then he must be bored or if he didn't do his homework it was too easy. Again, this is why I don't like that label!

I did change my mind though, and I kind of want the cluster. I want it because I understand how those kids learn. In my academic career, I have never struggled to learn something. When I haven't done well in a class it was purely a matter of attention. More than that, I tend to retain most of what I am taught. It took me such a long time to really learn that most students struggle to comprehend some subjects and that many students can master something and not retain it.

I feel like I am getting better at teaching the kids who learn differently than I did, but I've almost forgotten about my fast learners. It would be a good goal for me to do more for those kinds of kids next year. I guess that is true whether I get those identified as gifted or not.

1 comment:

A Reader's Community said...

I was identified as gifted a school and never catered for, which is one reason I adore teaching gifted children now. I've been teaching them for three and a half years now, and they can be aggravating and misunderstood, but also so rewarding.

I put a big focus on the idea that giftedness is potential- the potential to achieve at a very high standard, with hard work and persistance - seems to make a bit of a difference with the parents.