Saturday, January 9, 2010

This Song Made Me Think

One of my students stopped me as they were entering the classroom on Friday and told me that she needed to talk to me. After everyone else went in she says, "Something happened last night."

"What happened?" I asked.

"My stepdad got arrested and now I'm just paranoid."

"What do you mean you're paranoid?"

"I don't know, I just am."

We talked for a couple of minutes and then went in. She had a fine day, but I have a soft spot for kids having a hard time with their families. I experienced that.

It is times like when I wish I could talk about God in school. I used to pray before I was sure anyone was listening. I wish I could say, "Someone is always there." I have had so many situations where watered down, politically correct words don't seem like enough.

No comments: